Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association,
(MOFFA) was established in 1991 as a non-profit organization. We strive to build a sustainable network of individuals and organizations that support small farms,
family gardens, and ecologically sound businesses.
From ourArticles of Incorporation, MOFFA’s purpose is to:
- Educate growers, processors, retailers, and consumers about the practices, standards, processes, and promise of organically produced product
- Provide authorized spokespersons for the industry: to encourage networking, particularly in the areas of information, purchasing, and marketing
- Establish and articulate priorities for growers
- Carry out liaison for/with other involved groups/organizations: to decide rules for materials, standards and practices that govern those in the industry
- Inform and contribute to state regional and national
practice and policy on farming, and specifically on
- Recommend appropriate certification procedures: to
advocate and work to bring about union among consumer,
producer and distributor of product
- Keep the public informed by bringing favorable attention
to the organization and the cause
- Conduct research concerning the production and handling of organic products.
The primary focus of the organization is Maryland, however regional affiliation and cooperation is encouraged.
A 9 person Board of Directors and a group of committee chair people serve the members. The people serving on the all-volunteer board offer a wide range of expertise and experience in sustainable farming, raising of livestock & poultry, food handling, organic certification, soil nutrition and consumer related issues.
|Board of Directors||Term Expires|
|Holly Budd, Chair||2013|
|Jim Coleman, Alternate||2015|
|Nick Maravell, Ex Officio|
Questions for the board members & committee chairs are welcome.
Annual Meeting, Hospitality – Fay Walton
Newsletter – Claudia Raskin