This year, the series will focus on healthy and safe food and how our representatives are addressing the issue of food safety and the availability of healthy food.
Consumers and Farmers must stay alert as the FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) regulations are developed, in order to protect sustainable farming and access to fresh, organic produce. Find out what’s happening to farmers, the Farm Bill, organic agriculture and the ability for all income groups to have access to sustainable foods. (Are we still subsidizing large farms and penalizing low income folks?)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY, 1, 2014
THE FOOD SAFETY MODERNIZATION AND ITS IMPACT ON OUR CO-OP AND FAMILY FARMS
1:00 – 4:00PMHistoric Takoma Building 7328 Carroll Ave. Takoma Park MD 20912
- Michael Taylor, Deputy Director, FDA
- Ferd Hoefner, NSAC (National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition) — will cover Farm Bill big picture and what is good, bad and ugly in the final product
- Steve Etka, NOC (National Organic Coalition) – will discuss specific organic issues
- Ariane Lotti, NSAC – will discuss FSMA, where we are, what comes next and we will all share
Q&A and discussion that follows about the future of sustainable agriculture
Upcoming forums include:
- Saturday, Feb 15, 1-4pm, GMOs, AND HOW LEGISLATION MIGHT IMPACT MARYLAND CONSUMERS
- Guest Speaker: Barbara Mikulski, MD US State Senator
- Saturday, Feb 22, 1-4pm, HEALTH OF THE BAY AND ITS IMPACT ON FOOD, FARMERS AND CONSUMERS
- Invited Guest: Ben Cardin, MD US Senator
- Saturday, March 1, 1-4pm, IMPACT ON US AGRICULTURE POLICIES ON MARYLAND CONSUMERS
- Invited Guest: Chris Van Hollen, MD US Congressman, 8th
- Saturday, March 22, 1-4pm, TAKOMA PARK/SILVER SPRING CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR COUNTY OFFICE AND THEIR POLICIES ON FOOD, AGRICULTURE AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Seating is limited, please do not hold seats.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please join me for a tour of the Co-op after each event.